Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Presentation Reflection

“A sign of relief”

That’s the only phase that best describes how I feel when I finished my presentation. I feel that my presentation was not the best and there is still have room for improvement.

Overall, I think my presentation group met our objectives of conveying what we wanted toour audience. I think the flow of our presentation was relatively satisfactory considering the fact that we did not have the time to rehearse with each other beforehand. As a result of this situation, Gillian and I had a little discussion at the back about our slides when Hong Ting was presenting as we both did not want to mess up the presentation. However, I did acknowledge that it was wrong of on our part to do that before pointed out by Prof Brad.

Individually, I feel that I was nervous towards the end of my presentations as there was a last minute addition of a new slide which made me present in a different way from what my group wanted.

I think I made a mistake during the presentation by turning and told my team mates that I did not know what I was saying. I think at that point of time I just wanted to express my thoughts but forgot that I should not be making comments like that during a formal presentation. Another part which I did not well was that I stumbled on quite a few words during the presentation.

My strength might be I was not fidgeting around and was standing pretty stand throughout the whole presentation. I was also happy with myself that I was able to answer the questions posed out by the audience as it indicated that I know my work.

2 Comments:

At April 15, 2009 at 6:38 AM , Blogger zQ said...

*applaud*

Hi Zoelyn,

I think you have done quite a great job too! I was able to focus all the while you were presenting and I thought you were good in engaging the audience. Furthermore, you have a good voice projection and I could hear you loud and clear from the back. I also like the way you took the initiative to make known to everyone that you would be answering the question during the Q&A session. Good effort!

On another note, because I was so focused on you, I noticed quite a few times that your eye contact was not on the audience. For example, you tend to look into the corner of your eyes (I can see that your gaze was by the side) and I think the likely reason is because you were trying to recall/think of what to say next, is that right?

Like what you mentioned, I feel that it is necessary to work on your composure during presentation too! For instances, what will you do if suddenly you are at a loss? What are the different ways to salvage such a situation? Up to this point in time, I feel that being prepared and knowing our stuff well are very important factors to help salvage the aforementioned situation. Also, have a visual run-through of the whole presentation and anticipating questions are alternatives too!

All the best!





P.S Second paragraph second line "to our"

 
At April 15, 2009 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Annie Ang said...

Hi Zoelyn,

I think overall, your group managed to convey the message of the presentation very well. The pictures were cool ( I always liked pictures...)

I think you made a very fair assessment of yourself and Zi Qi probably said most of whatever I wanted to tell you.

I can quote you one lesson I learnt in a presentation during my jc days. It was open house and I was supposed to describe my school's research lab equipment to visiting teachers. My friend and I were in charge of a station but we were not prepared. Later, a visitor asked us about the machine and our supervising teacher watched as we introduced it to the visitor. We thought we did okay but our supervising teacher told us we said all the WRONG information. However, he praised us as we were very confident and managed to fool the visitor.

It's okay if you don't know what you are saying in a presentation. NEVER confess it. It breaks the momentum of your speech and disturbs you. You can arrange your thoughts later and clarify during the question and answer session. If there's no Q and A session and you geniunely made a serious error, you can always muster up the courage to inform participants later of the errors. Everyone makes mistakes, you just have to rectify it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home