Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Reflections

Reading my first blog post again, I suddenly feel that time passes really fast. It seems like only yesterday that I step into our ES2007S classroom. Well, back to the topic, I still uphold my belief that effective communication is like going to the restroom; essential and beneficial.

Being able to communicate effectively allows me to maintain good lasting relationships with people and brings my messages effectively across to others. However, I would like to add on one more point after attending this module and that is active listening. I realised that being able to listen actively to others is also important for messages to be brought across. If I am able to speak effectively to someone but the other party pays little attention to me, then the message will not be brought forward effectively.

In addition, I still believes that being able to present confidently and clearly in presentations allows my audience to understand my speech and what information that I wish to convey to them. This skill also widens my job selections when I step into the working industry as I believe that regardless of what company, an employer would want to hire a more vocal and confident employee rather than a reserved one.

Regardless of what I believe and learn from this module, I feel that there is no end to learning and skills must be constantly polished and upgraded. This thinking also applies to communication skills.

Just to mention, I really enjoy learning from Brad and everyone in this module. I hope you guys feel the same way too. Do keep in touch!

4 Comments:

At April 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Brad Blackstone said...

There we are, at the altar of active listening again. Thank you, Zoelyn, for recognizing just how important that skill is. I think you had a chance in this course to see it in action on various levels, right?

You're also correct in stating that "there is no end to learning and skills must be constantly polished and upgraded." Yes indeed!

For that reason, I want to say that this is only the beginning for you. Your education is really just getting underway. Pursue it with gusto!

Thank you for working hard this term in ES2007S. All the best for your continuing journey!

 
At April 15, 2009 at 5:08 AM , Blogger Zoelyn Teo said...

Hi Brad,
In response to your question: Yes I do have a chance to recognize that active listening is important due to the exposure in the different kinds of work places I have worked at.
Thank you for your guidance in this module and this module has indeed enhanced my communication skills and improved my active listening skills. I will continue to constantly upgrade as like I say there is no end to learning and it is indeed just the beginning for me as compared to many!!
Lastly, I enjoyed being in your class and learning from you! Thank you!

 
At April 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Chong Yew said...

Hey Zoelyn!
Yup! Indeed, there is no end to learning!I've got another maxim to add as well! (they go quite well together).
书山有路勤为径,学海无涯苦作舟.
学如逆水行舟,不进则退.
The second line states that learning is like rowing a boat against the currents, that if you do not improve, you will fall behind for sure.
It seems the same way here as well: We must constantly seek to improve ourselves, lest we "deprove". (I'm sorry but there are just so many Chinese proverbs that are fitting!)

It has been great to attend classes with you, and sharing all the laughter and fun together!

 
At April 16, 2009 at 6:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zoelyn,

I share in alot of what you wrote in your reflections. I agree with what you said about active listening, on the confidence gained and on continued striving to improve this skill.

The day we stop improving, that's the day we slide backwards. It's impossible to remain stagnant in any level of training.

"there is no end to learning and skills must be constantly polished and upgraded."
THAT is a good phrase to remember.

Thanks and cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home